Mission: Love Yourself, Lose Your Junk!

February is the month for love.  Love your family, love your friends, love your neighbors, love yourself!!!  I, personally, feel loved when everything is clean and organized!  I am trying to teach my sweet children that when we keep our home neat and orderly, it makes our guests feel loved and welcome.  Not only that, but we have a much more peaceful home to relax in when everything is in its place and we are not holding on to things we no longer need.

Every year around this time, I begin to get really crazy purge our home of the junk stuff we have somehow accumulated over the last year.  It is unreal to me how much we bring in.  My daughter (bless her adorable soul) is the worst when it comes to getting rid of things.  She will hold on to a piece of napkin she drew a picture on at a restaurant three years ago - sheesh!!

I can't say she is alone, I also have a hard time getting rid of things that I am determined I will use "someday".  We both share a passion for anything creative - she loves to draw, paint or work with clay.  I am a scrapbook junkie, love to sew and have a passion for turning garage sale finds into pieces that make our house a home.  Our combined creative personalities make for a lot of trash treasure around our house!

Well friends, enough is enough!  This year, I am determined to get organized and STAY organized.  I WILL NOT allow my perfectionism to keep me from getting it done.  I WILL NOT procrastinate.  I WILL NOT wait until we buy and install closet organizers (which I have wanted to do for YEARS!)Clutter keeps me from writing, sewing, scrapbooking, baking, or doing anything else I find enjoyable.  It makes my daughter's room look like a war zone and prevents me from even wanting to go in there!  It keeps her from having friends over, working on her crafts, or enjoying a good book in the peace and quiet of what should be her personal space, not her storage room!  I have a plan for getting things back in shape.  Grace (my daughter) and I put that plan into action today!

Step 1:  Get EVERYTHING that does not have a designated space out of the room.  (Do NOT obsess over where we are going to put it, just GET IT OUT!!!)

Step 2: Get the room clean and neat (Vacuum, dust, make bed, etc.)

Step 3:  Go through the removed items (at a reasonable pace - say 1 box/bag per day)  Separate into Keep/Donate/Throw Out categories

Step 4: Take the Donate items to the Church, take the Throw Out items to the trash!

Step 5: Make a list of needed items to get all the Keep items in order (do we need any additional storage baskets for the closet, does she need magazine holders, hooks for her closet to hold purses, etc.)

Step 6: Purchase the items and put them in place

Step 7: Enjoy the newly organized room and reward Grace with a sleepover or craft party!

I'm estimating that it will take us at least a week to complete the remainder of the LOVE YOURSELF, LOSE YOUR JUNK mission in Grace's room.  We got through steps 1 and 2 today.  Here is a pic of what came out of her room, can you believe it?



Wow - that is a LOT of stuff!  Some child is going to be truly blessed with all the clothes, shoes, blankets and whatever else we decide to place in the donate pile.  There is NO way all of this is going back in her space!

I do still want to purchase a closet organizer like this one:

Rubbermaid 10' Custom Closet Kit

but I am not going to let the waiting keep us from enjoying our home!

I hope you'll stay with me as we complete our Love mission this week.  I also hope you'll share stories of your own Love missions as well!

Blessings to you,
Dafne

No comments:

Post a Comment