Mission:    Love Your Neighbors

We spent some time yesterday with friends from our homeschool group at the Annual Valentine Skate Party.  We exchanged valentines, had a few snacks and participated in the Most Creative Valentine Box contest.  The kids had a blast!





While we were there, I learned a "knifty" new craft which Grace and I will do together in order to accomplish Mission: Love Your Neighbor.  Several of the other moms have committed to making hats for the homeless and I wanted to learn so we could participate as well.  Using some very inexpensive tools (which can be purchased at Hobby Lobby or Michael's) I learned how to create a precious knitted hat. Here is what the Knitting Looms look like:



These were very inexpensive - about $15 for 4.  There is an extra small ring for babies, a medium sized ring for toddlers or small children, and a large and extra large ring for adults.



I bought some chunky yarn in a pretty pink color (also at Hobby Lobby) and set to work: 





It took a few sittings, but I estimate that it took a total of about 2 1/2 hours to do this: 

I'm sorry, but this hat is too stinkin' cute if I do say so myself!!!  I still have more to add in order to make the little ball on top, but it's almost there!!  It feels so good to do something so simple for a child who might not otherwise have anything warm to cover their head.

I taught Grace how to work the looms, and she has already begun her first hat.  I'm excited that this is something she and I will be able to do together.  It is also my hope that she will feel the joy that comes from giving to those less fortunate than ourselves.

Tomorrow, we'll pick up on the Love Yourself Mission in her room.  For today, we put the focus outside of ourselves, and learned a new way to show love to our neighbors.

Blessings to you,
Dafne

No comments:

Post a Comment