Homemade Bread - I did it!!!

So yesterday I posted this grand plan for this week's meals - and I was firmly resolved to stick to it.  Let's see, what day is it? 

Just kidding!

So far, so good.  The only thing I haven't stuck to is which day to prepare what meal.  Yesterday was the pasta casserole and baked chicken.  Today I decided to make the homemade hamburger buns with this recipe.

squeals . . . 

giggles . . . 

I can't believe I did it!  I actually, really, all-by-myself, made homemade bread!  It didn't take all day, which I've always heard bread does.  In fact, the steps were pretty easy.  I did one step right before breakfast, one right after chores, and one just before leaving for our American Heritage Girls meeting.  Thanks to my oldest son, who watched the oven for me while we were gone, we came home to this:




Now, I am well aware that they don't look like the fancy, schmancy picture on the website with the recipe.




But hey, this was my first shot at it.  I'll get the shaping down.  I was just happy that they came out soft and yummy!  At this very moment I am telling my children to get out of the kitchen because they cannot eat the buns that I made for dinner.   I let them try one little corner and now they want to scarf them down before the burgers are even ready!  

I'm so happy with this venture that I am going to be trying a french loaf recipe in just a few minutes.  I found it on the website of my favorite magazine - Mother Earth News.  The title of the article is Five Minutes a Day for Freshly Baked Bread.  I'll let you know if that turns out to be true.

All this baking is getting me geared up to start planning the spring garden.  We're going to need some strawberry jam to smear on all this soft yumminess!

What's happening in your kitchen this week?  Are you cooking up some love?  I'd like to hear from you.

Happy Homemaking!

I'm linking up at Growing Home and Time-Warp Wife


No comments:

Post a Comment