Today I'm posting a copy of an article I wrote on my first blog (Accessing Grace) a few years ago.  Soon I'll have updates on all that's been happening around here for the last two weeks, as well as pics of some changes we've had in each room.  Come back to see me!

Here's the post:

After this morning, I’m sure that every kid in my church went home and told their parents that one of the leaders of children’s church (me) was crazy.  You see, the story we read to them today was the story of the Prodigal Son.  Have you ever read it?  (If not, you must!  Find it in Luke 15:11-32).

Assuming you ARE going to read it, I’m going to give you a summary.  The story is about a father with two sons.  One asks for his inheritance, takes it and leaves.  He gambles, spends money on women, and becomes penniless and starving.  The other son stayed with the father, worked the land, raised the animals, and did everything the father always asked him to do.  When the first son returns home (basically so he wouldn’t starve and his father would take care of him again) he is met with open arms.  The father is overjoyed that his son has come home and orders the best calf to be slaughtered so there can be a feast and celebration!

(This is the part where I started crying and couldn’t read to the kids and they were all staring at me like I was a complete idiot.  I had to get myself together to continue.)

The son who had always done as his father told him was angry that the one who had strayed was receiving such special treatment.  The father explained to him that it was as if his brother had been dead, and now he was alive, and that was the reason they must celebrate!

It is the same with us.  Which is why I almost could not control my tears and those poor, confused children had to sit there and wonder what on earth was wrong with me!  I was crying because I know that God loves us so much, that no matter how far we stray, He will welcome us back and celebrate to have us with Him again!  No sin is too great for His awesome forgiveness.  Whether our sin is against our husbands, children, parents, ourselves or even God - when we are ready to turn away from all the wrongs we’ve done and admit that we need Him present in our lives to do good – He will be waiting with open arms, overjoyed at our return to Him.

This Lenten season, as we prepare our hearts to celebrate Jesus’ glorious Resurrection, think about the sacrifice God made for us.  Think about the love Jesus poured out for us.  Think about the Father who is waiting ever so patiently for us.  Then don’t make him wait any longer.  My prayer is that you will  read your Bible more often,  pray unceasingly, practice loving EVERYONE unconditionally, stop judging others, and  do everything you can think of to show God how grateful you are for His infinite love and mercy.

Now go read the story!  (You may need a kleenex.)  Luke 15:11-32

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete