Happy Mother's Day!

My husband just left for work.

My house is full of people I love, but it's quiet because they are all asleep.

I can hear the dishwasher running and the dryer going.

I spent the morning putting lunch in the oven, cleaning up little messes, and rocking a baby to sleep.

I am overwhelmed with joy.

Motherhood is so daunting, so challenging at times.  There is always so much work to be done, so many things to think about.  What time is baseball?  Where are all your socks?  Who forgot to unload the dishwasher?  What do you mean we're out of milk?!

Endless trips to the doctors.

Teenagers learning to drive.

Watching your babies grow up way too fast.

In the midst of all this, I pray "God, help me to be a good mother.  Help me to choose the right words.  Show me how to teach my children to love you.  Show me how to teach them how much YOU love THEM!  Stay with me, guide me, don't let me mess this up!  I want them to be a shining light for you and your Son, show me how to do it."

None of us are perfect, no matter how hard we try.

My house is never as clean as I want it to be.  Closets stay unorganized and dishes are sometimes left in the sink.  I have laundry baskets that never quite seem to get emptied.  Despite all of that,  I am full of gratitude because "the Mighty One has done great things for me".  (Luke 1:49)

God doesn't want us to be so preoccupied with the little stuff that we lose sight of what really matters.  Of course, the laundry, dishes, cooking and cleaning have to be done!  However, it has taken many, MANY years for me to learn that it's ok to leave it there and work on a puzzle, go to a baseball game, paint my daughter's fingernails, enjoy a cup of coffee with my husband or listen to my son explain his latest computer programming accomplishment.  We show love when we are available to those who love us.

The Bible confirms it for me in the story of Martha & Mary:

" . . . Martha welcomed him into her home.  And she had a sister called Mary, who moreover was listening to the Lord's word, seated at His feet.  But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him, and said, 'Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone?  Then tell her to help me.'  But the Lord answered, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only a few things are necessary, really only one, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.' "    Luke 10:38-42

I don't want to be "worried and bothered about so many things".  I put my hope and trust in Him, the source of my strength and joy.  I ask Him to guide me everyday (all day long!) as I deal with all the challenges I face in this ministry called Motherhood.  I thank Him constantly for the incredible husband He has given me as my partner in raising our precious children.  And I am overwhelmed that He is working to accomplish infinitely more than I can ask or imagine.  (Ephesians 3:20)

May you have a blessed Mother's Day.  Hug those babies tight and sit at the feet of Jesus, thanking God for all that He has done!  Now, it's time for me to check that dryer!


No comments:

Post a Comment