Progress . . . well, just a little

Almost two weeks ago I told you I wanted to make a change with the kiddos bedrooms.  If you missed that post, you can read it here.

Basically, I had this great idea that baby boy's room would become the play / school room and sister's room would be the sleep / relax room.  Two words . . . NOT HAPPENING!

We started moving furniture and trying to figure out what was going to go where and the two children who were all excited at the idea in the beginning, were shouting at one another!  It was, "Don't touch that!  Leave my stuffed animals alone!  You don't know where that goes!" And I don't know what all else.  I could see right away that just because they don't like to sleep by themselves, doesn't mean they want to spend 24 / 7 hanging out in the same room.  So we nixed the idea.

However, baby boy did need a furniture make-over, and some rearranging was definitely in order!


Remember these awfully embarrassing pictures?  Ugh!  Something needed to be done ASAP!





So we took advantage of the crazy Texas weather with the 70 degree temps in January, and hauled it all outside!  I started with his desk / nightstand.  (Which I don't even think I showed you in the before pics?  And oops - I almost forgot to take one once it was outside, hence the one spot of blue paint.  hee hee)






We took all the drawers out of the dresser.




And removed all the hardware.




Hubby was super excited to be helping with the transformation.




Just kidding.  He really did help.  He and my oldest baby (almost 15 y.o. sniff, sniff) carried all of it outside.  Then hubby took care of the hardware for me.  He also saved all of it from the rain when I left it outside to drop some things off at church.  Thanks babe!

I'm pretty happy with the results, but not the pictures.  These were taken after dark and they aren't too great.  But I think the navy color looks sooo nice against the khaki walls.



I love the dark color on the dresser and the new "polished silver" look of the hardware.  (I do NOT love the gargantuan TV!  If we had a game room that would NOT be in his bedroom!)




I forgot the before pic of the lamp, but spray paint does wonders.
Love, love, love that shiny red against the navy!





I said I wanted to stay within a budget of $200.  So far, I've spent $30 on paint and $14 on baskets for books and stuffed animals (I'll show you those later).  So I still have $156 left to spend.  I'm thinking it will go towards a new curtain rod, a set of bookshelves, art for the walls and possibly a closet organizer.

There is still much more to do, but it's coming along.  I'll keep posting as we're progressing.

What have you been up to at your house?  Any big projects that you're plugging away at little by little?  I'd love to hear about them!


2 comments:

  1. I didn't Know you had a blog! Yay!! And a woman after my own heart!! I'm in the middle of (another) room makeover. This time it's just trying to pull together a bit more of a theme in both girl's rooms since we put them in their own rooms. I'm wanting to paint a desk, but it's metal. Need to research what to use a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, I paint metal all the time! Lamps, light fixtures in the bathroom, shower rods, etc. Spray paint rocks! Use Krylon. Did you see the red lamp? That is metal and it's been spray painted twice. I usually spray a small section first and wait for it to dry. Sometimes it wants to bubble. When that happens I use a primer before my color. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete